The FTSE 100 Index closed up 0.47% at 7,564.37, showcasing a positive day for U.K. stocks.
- Rolls-Royce Holdings PLC (RR) led the gains with a significant increase of 7.44%.
- Mondi PLC (MNDI), a paper and pulp firm, saw its shares rise by 5.46%.
- Investment advisors company St. James’s Place PLC (STJ) experienced a positive day, with shares climbing 4.32%.
Other Notable Gains
- Flutter Entertainment PLC (FLTR), a company in the gambling industries sector, witnessed a gain of 3.55%.
- Smurfit Kappa Group PLC (SKG), a containers and packaging business, also had a positive day with shares increasing by 3.38%.
WPP PLC (WPP), an advertising, marketing, and public relations company, faced the largest decline among FTSE 100 constituents, with shares decreasing by 3.45%.
- Spirax-Sarco Engineering PLC (SPX), a technical services firm, witnessed a decline of 1.13%.
- Compass Group PLC (CPG), a company in the restaurant industry, also faced a decrease in shares by 1.04%.
Also Worth Noting
- Reckitt Benckiser Group PLC (RKT), a nondurable household products company, experienced a decrease of 1.02% in its stocks.
- Experian PLC (EXPN) from the finance industry rounded out the top five largest decreases with a decline of 0.97%.
Currency and Commodity Trends
The pound strengthened by 0.53% against the dollar to reach $1.2775. However, it weakened by 0.28% against the euro at €1.1576.
Meanwhile, Brent crude rose by 1.2% to $86.14, contributing to a positive day for the energy market. On the other hand, the yield on the 10-year gilt fell by 10.080 basis points to 4.373%.